Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mingling With The Masses

First District Rep Michele Grisham, my representative to the US House, is meeting constituents face to face Thursday at a community center in Albuquerque's South Valley.

Almost no elected official of that status does that any more, especially after tea baggers started showing up at these events armed, with the aim of shouting down the elected official and demonstrating what a menace tea baggers are to society. (This is Grisham's first term, so we'll see if it continues.)

One of the nice things about Albuquerque, to me, is its economic plurality. If you drive down, say, Rio Grande Blvd., upscale neighborhoods and working class neighborhoods alternate. Nowhere in the city are there vast tracts of land reserved for the well to do and off limits to the working class.

The South Valley is a bit different in a couple regards. Right in the midst of small stucco houses you'll see a big ostentatious house. I've only been here a few years, so I don't understand the complete significance of this, but there is one.

And I get the impression the South Valley isn't the most fashionable part of town. Not that it's unfashionable, but people don't say South Valley the way they do The Heights or The North Valley. (I live on the West Side. We don't care if we live or die and we don't care what you think.) Anyway it was good to see that Rep Grisham was going to be in the South Valley.

Besides her, the delegation member I read most about is Sen. Tom Udall, but it's usually about meetings he's having with corporate types.


I'll have more to say on this later but I have to go off and engage in Capitalism. I have an extra pickup tonight.


.






No comments:

Post a Comment