Thursday, February 20, 2014

Capitalism Beware

I recently bought another truck. This one has a sleeper berth. I want to try that kind of trucking.


I took this picture while I was putting the required letters and numbers on the side doors this past Sunday. I haven't reached the point of having a logo and getting it reproduced on those decals that you can stick on the doors. I use vinyl letters and numbers from Home Depot. A friend of mine, though, has been playing around with a logo design.



The mighty Albuquerque Cartage LLC fleet. On the right is the original 2007 International. On the left is the new addition, a 2006 Freightliner. The International is actually a 2006, too, but for some reason it was titled as a 2007. I only learned this after I'd had it awhile. It was manufactured in February, 2006.

The Freightliner has fewer miles, and is in overall better condition, I think, but I'll soon find out for sure. It's an automatic. I'm a little leery of automatics in semis, but they have been in service in semis for ten years or so now.


I've been doing this for a year now -- owning a truck, operating it as a business, filing seven different kinds of quarterly taxes, hiring people, meeting the myriad state and federal regulations, dealing with breakdowns and other problems. I'm not sure why I haven't written about it more than I have. Probably because I don't quite know what to think about it. It's a lot of trouble, but it's profitable, or has been so far.

I'll say this. One, you can make money without having to take it out of the pockets of the people who work for you. You don't have to be stingy. Two, the tax system is nothing but a racket designed by business for business, for the befefit of business and to screw people who work for wages.

Tax breaks basically will pay for the second truck. You can argue that it created a job -- I'll have to hire someone to drive it -- but that's not exactly true. I could have done it anyway. The tax system helped me do it sooner, perhaps. That's about all you can say. You can say that whoever I hire will be spending money in the economy sooner, and you can say, perhaps, that more businesses hiring more people sooner will have a leverage effect.

But nothing would have happened if the American consumer didn't have enough money to buy the things I haul and didn't want or need them. The American consumer created the jobs, is paying for the trucks and salaries and the fuel and the permits and insurance, and the taxes I file.

I'd wager that the economy would have improved even more quickly if businesses were paying their fair share of the cost of government, which would mean that working people didn't have to pay the entire cost of government, and if businesses were paying more in wages. Those two things would give the American consumer a lot more money to spend, and instead of coughing and sputtering the way it is, the economy would be rolling along.







No comments:

Post a Comment