Monday, February 24, 2014

Koloakulua



I've quickly became hooked on a baby Albatross cam.


It's a Laysan Albatross. They nest almost exclusively in Hawaii and are common there. Adults have a 6 1/2 foot wing span and live primarily on cephalopods (octupus, squid, cuttlefish) but will also eat fish, crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, shrimp, etc.) and other invertebrates. Pairs mate for life, and this pair made its nest near someone's house, and then the homeowners got in touch with the bird cam people.


The little one is being called Koloakula, which I presume is Hawaiian for something. I haven't found out what.


The little guy was born January 27, so is almost a month old. The parents are rarely there, being off hunting, someone on the twitter feed said, so it spends most of its time alone, and much of that sleeping. It's spent several nights alone.


So little happens that I began taking screen shots when something did. I sit staring at the screen for a long time with one finger on the mouse button. It was very exciting when it stood up for the first time and flapped its wings.


When Dad came back and fed it it was very, very cool.



I came home from working on the truck this afternoon and it wasn't there. I freaked out. In reading up on them, I'd read that they can be subject to predation by various animals, so that's always in the back of my mind. It sits out in the open -- perhaps in a place its parents instincts tell them is less likely to be happened upon, but who knows?







It was sleeping near the nest. I was greatly relieved when its breathing caught my attention. It appears to breathe heavily when it sleeps. I then saw on the twitter feed that it had been exploring out of the nest. This evening it had some trouble getting back into the nest, but I missed that. There are many people watching it, and they keep each other posted via the twitter feed on what's happened.












1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete