Saturday, November 15, 2014

Screen 1

 


 I've been playing around with my little free image editing program HeliosPaint, which runs in Java so can be used on a Mac -- not sure what all that means but it does what my old favorite editing program did that came on my first computer, a Windows machine in the late 1990s I guess it was, a big Dell that ran on coal. Heliospaint has never run exactly perfectly on any of my Apple laptops but the glitches were of the type where the program's display was a little off and didn't really affect the image you were editing. When I went to download HeliosPaint for the new laptop I just bought I found it to be a new and slightly improved version. It has fewer of of the display glitches but it has trouble loading the original image or adding images. It takes awhile to do it and then it loads several of them on top of each other so you have to work around that by using the top image and erasing the parts of the others that are showing.

Coincidentally, I made this image using a photo that I think I got from the Albuquerque Journal, of people protesting the state's plan to dam up the pristine Gila River in southwest New Mexico. The coincidence is that Jim Baca wrote about the project today at his Only In New Mexico blog. I hadn't understood what it was all about until now, only that some people who seemed to be in the environmentalist camp opposed it. I didn't know who the other side was.

That's the problem with the Journal. It skews the news to protect people it likes -- the police administration, the Republican mayor, Republicans in general, polluters -- in this case the Republican governor Susanna Martinez, who wants to dam up the river so a few farmers can irrigate with it, but I'd seen nothing about the governor's role in it in the stories I'd read about it in the Journal. The stories I'd read made it seem that it was just something that was happening, as if the project had appeared on someone's desk and was being moved along by faceless bureaucrats and was probably something that couldn't be stopped. Because government.




No comments:

Post a Comment