Monday, December 8, 2014

Ад и высокие резиновые

I found out that my International has high rubber.

Ten for fifteen years ago, I think it was, but I don't know for sure, the big trucking companies began putting "low profile" drive tires on their trucks -- the eight tires on the rear of the tractor. Low profile tires are shorter and make the truck sit a few inches lower and for a few years caused some problems with trailers not being the right height for some loading docks.

I never cared for low profile tires because it seemed to me they would have to make the engine turn over faster, so unless the gearing is adjusted somewhere along the drive train they'll make your speedometer off and cause more wear on everything and you'll get less mileage.

I'd put new front tires on the International last Christmas but it still has the original drive tires it had when I bought it in February 2013 and they're getting down there. One is illegal already. Not enough tread. I took it down to the TA this weekend to get new drives, as they say, and found out the only ones they had in my size -- 11R 24.5 -- cost twice what tires usually cost. For a minute I thought I was going to have to go low profile or something, but the guy said he could order some that are the regular price.

"Thirty-three hundred out the door," he said.

Before he said that and while I was gasping for breath a truck driver who was behind me in line at the service desk asked me where I was from.

"Here," I said, turning to look at him.

"Oh," he said, turning away. "If you was goin' through West Virginia I know a place that'll give you a discount on high rubber."

I'd never heard the phrase "high rubber" before.

The service desk guy told me the tires he was ordering were Chinese. I didn't go down there to buy Chinese tires. The clerk guessed that I hadn't either. He assured me I'd get the free three axle alignment. He pointed to an advertisement on the wall. A $200 value.

"We can't do it here but I'll give you a certificate and you can get it done in Santa Rosa or Gallup."

The other driver frowned.

"And they're virgin rubber."

The other driver nodded.

I knew what virgin rubber meant. They're not recaps. I found that out last week.

Meanwhile some hackers have posted 1.7 gigabytes of documents from the Russian Interior Ministry online. This is one of them.



You can read the rest of them here.



The headline of this post is Russian for Hell or High Tires, according to Google Translate.





No comments:

Post a Comment