Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas

Getting ready to go to Holbrook - there's always a run the night of a holiday because businesses are open the next day, and there's not a run the night before a holiday.


On Christmas Eve, Vince, the guy who helps me out, invited over for their traditional Posole meal. He's had me over a few times now. There are always sons and daughters with families, friends, other relatives and one or two of them talk to me sometimes. I appreciate their gestures and the gathering part is nice, for awhile, then I have to cut out.

For my Christmas they sent me home with some tamales and what Maria, a friend of theirs, told me was Tres Leches Cake, or something like that. It's delicious. Maria is friend of Vince's wife who I'd never met before. Perehaps they were trying to introduce us. I'm for the most part ambivalent. I've never been much for dating and I just don't have the time to devote to a relationship.

Maria is a Mexicano, I think. Very beautiful, too. It occurred to me this evening that since I got divorced I've been with very few Caucasians. Mostly Latinas, African Americans and Asians. The world is a conrucopia, and each of these types, if you can condense people to types, inhabits a different world than Caucasian girls do, but all of those women's worlds are in a galaxy far away from mine.

I was going to call the family in Michigan today. Well, I did try once. No answer at Mom's house. Since it was nearing time to get ready for work I was just as satisfied that there wasn't. Being alone doesn't mean being lonely.

Hit it, Elvis.








5 comments:

  1. My wife and I do not celebrate Christmas in the traditional sense but I did make a big pot of posole and I do not mean to brag but nobody beats my posole! Not your mom, not my mom, not anyone's grandma, not nobody! A very simple dish really but delicious if you are partial to NEW MEXICAN food and easy to make in a crockpot.

    Christmas is not a holiday my family has ever celebrated in the traditional sense of Christmas trees and Santa Claus. When I was a kid in our house and village it was 99 percent a religious event, Santa Claus was nowhere to be found, presents were never exchanged. I did not see a Christmas tree until 1954 when I went to visit relatives in Denver. It was a religious event with luminarias and midnight mass and then the fun part was going begging for foodstuffs in the early morning all over the village. Mis Christmas, mis Chrismes and we would fill up our flour sacks with apples, oranges, popcorn balls etc.

    Glad you enjoyed yours, we did too.

    P.S. Notice the exclamation point(s)....... They have great meaning when placed there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that comment, NM. That's a great story about the way you celebrated Christmas, on several levels. Thanks for that.

    My sister asked me in an email the other day what were my favorite Christmas memories and it was an emotional experience to recall them. We had a tree and unpacking the ornaments was my favorite thing, rediscovering the oldest ones, which were my favorites. Going to church Christmas Eve, too. Getting out in the cold night air and looking up in the sky seemed to give me a connection to the first Christmas. Hearing the Christmas story read again from the pulpit, the music and singing, everyone's uplifted mood, and then the cold air and the stars and the big dark sky. It made it seem to a young boy that the Christmas story was happening right then, somewhere.

    So, there's one more thing I have to learn, New Mexican exclamation point placement.

    I asked people at the gathering if there was a reason posole was the traditional Christmas dish -- I was wondering if there's a posole Christmas story -- but no one knew. You just eat posole at Christmas. That's interesting, too.

    I didn't find a reason on the internet, either, although there's a lot there about posole including the fact that there's such a thing as actual posole and it's not hominy! (Midwestern placement.)

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "real" posole is not made with hominy..... Though mine is. I like it that way. Some pork, hominy or the real thing, liberal amounts of New Mexico oregano and lots of red chile, that is it for mine. The real posole price is a bit rich for my blood. The hominy is an excellent substitute as far as I am concerned. The food types were limited when I was young so if you wanted to celebrate the limitations as to kinds of food were even more so. My guess is that is the reason for it being present on our table at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see what the difference is between posole and hominy. Both are corn soaked in lye then allowed to dry, according to what I'm reading, although it says posole has a more "earthy" flavor, whatever that means. I'm going to try making posole, though, based on your recipe.

      What about all the diced up cucumber and onions and radishes and lettuce and so forth? A former New Mexican writing in the LA Times is offended when people "taint" his posole so.

      http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/22/food/la-fo-xmas-dinner-rp-20121222

      I didn't know there was New Mexico oregano, either. Hmm.

      Delete
  4. Skip anything else and just add salt to taste

    ReplyDelete