Sunday, December 21, 2014

Struggle


"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation…want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters…. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."      
Frederick Douglas

Someone used part of this quote without attribution on Twitter, the "Power concedes nothing without a demand part." I knew I'd heard it so looked it up and in a reply to the Tweet I noted who the author was. I don't really know how to use Twitter very well so I don't know if the world has been informed or not, so I put the quote here, too, meaning the world will remain uninformed.

The quote seems in keeping with a blog post Jim Baca made yesterday on his Only In New Mexico blog. I and many others are aware of what's wrong with the world and are good at pointing out problems, but haven't yet answered the question "Now what?" You really have to read the column Jim refers to, too.

One answer might be golf. It's losing popularity in the US and one of the main reasons is because people can't take the time it takes to play it any more, don't want to, aren't capable of it, according to an article in Business Insider.  We want instant gratification. We can't slow down. It's a good article but it's kind of long so I didn't read all of it.







No comments:

Post a Comment