Saturday, March 14, 2015

Killer Seat Belts

I've always thought seat belts to be unnecessary and dangerous devices, and now it seems that statistics prove it. This is a paragraph from an article in Overdrive, a trucking industry publication.

A recent federal teleconference highlighted that 33 percent of truckers who died in 2012 crashes had skipped seat belts, but up to 40 percent would have lived if they had buckled up.

Let me break that down. First it says that in 33 percent of fatalities the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt. Which means that in 66 percent of fatal accidents, twice as many, the driver had a seat belt on. It looks like wearing a seat belt doubles your chances of being killed.

The next part of the sentence tells us that "up to 40 percent would have lived if they had buckled up." Which leaves 60 percent who are alive because they didn't.

To be honest, the statistics aren't all there. The ones given are meaningless because there's no indication of what percentage of drivers wear seat belts and what percent doesn't. If, for example, only 1 percent of drivers aren't wearing seat belts but that 1 percent is involved in 33 percent of the fatalities, that would be saying something.

My concern with seat belts -- besides the trouble they require to put on and besides the fact that when I lean over to get something off the floor or on the console they try to choke me --  has always been that when you put one on, you're essentially saying to yourself, "I'm going to get into an accident so I'd better have this seat belt on." You're demonstrating to yourself the fact that there's a chance you're going to be in an accident.

If' you're not going to get into an accident, there's no point in wearing a seat belt.

People will say, 'Well, you never know.' But you do, if you can drive in a way that you won't.






No comments:

Post a Comment