Saturday, June 18, 2016

Mayonnaise Sandwich

Remember all that stuff I said about the West Side being so great? Forget it.



I'm in the process of moving about four miles from the soon to be fashionable Tierre Pointe apartments on Los Volcanes Road to a little 1949 stucco house with a big south facing back yard on San Ygnacio Road in the muy de moda South Valley, which Google translate tells me means very fashionable South Valley.

Most of what I own is in boxes or at the wrong home when I need it. There's no peanut butter so I'm enjoying a mayonnaise sandwich for lunch or rather breakfast. I spent the morning helping the CenturyLink guy drag laddders and equipment over fences and accumulated back corner of the lot piled up stuff into the utility right of way behind the neighbor's back yard so he could install a new DSL cable from the telephone pole to my house.

A mayonnaise sandwich tastes great when you've been eating nothing but Bob's Burgers and McDonald's for two weeks. Last night I had one of those new miniature watermelons that have been showing up in the supermarkets that were probably designed in a laboratory in Connecticut. I could find no knives or silverware are but I did have my hand saw handy.


I'd signed the papers and paid my money and was looking on the internet to see who my new city council member will be when I found out I won't be in the city limits, which came as a shock. I've gotten used to living in Albuquerque and having the mayor and aggressive drivers to criticize. I'd just assumed this new place was in the city. I just never knew that so much of what's known of as the South Valley isn't really part of Albuquerque despite it consisting of some of the oldest parts of town. I'm already getting used to the informality, the more leisurely pace of life and to understanding less of what I read on signs and menus.

Where I live, a couple blocks from the intersection of Bridge Boulevard and Goff Road, seems to have been farmland until it was subdivided in 1947 during a big post war building boom to accommodate returning WWII veterans looking to buy houses with their GI Bill VA loans and an influx of population having to do with a buildup of US government facilities in Albuquerque -- namely the moving of part of Los Alamos labs to the new Sandia labs on the air force base and the expansion of the base itself.

Younger readers may not know what I'm talking about when I say "GI Bill" and "VA loans" and older readers seem to have forgotten them. These were government programs passed back when Democrats were the party of the people and not the party of Wall Street, when we had politicians like Dennis Chavez and not like Hillary Clinton, Martin Heinrich, Michelle Grisham and Barak Obama, none of whom have ever even considered proposing a program like those, if indeed they've ever heard of them.

I'll have more to say about the new place as time goes by and if and when the myriad and varied projects that are flooding my imagination these days come to fruition.



Note: Hopefully the future site of one fantastic garden... Does anyone know what that bush is?


Update: A closeup of the plant. It's a pretty high resolution taken with my iPhone but I don't know if Google will leave it that high. You can see dried out flowers in the background, but the ends of the stalks look to me to be budding. I didn't feel any stickiness when I crushed leaves or buds between my fingers.








9 comments:

  1. Shrub reminds me of santolina but I couldn't enlarge your picture enough to tell for sure. Are the leaves sticky when crushed? What do the leaves and flowers smell like...resinous...herbal, sort of like sage?

    I've been reading your posts, Bubba, just haven't had enough spunk to respond. I do, however, remember the GI Bill and VA loans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.: Dress up your mayonnaise sandwich with some finely minced scallions (green onions - include the tops), salt and pepper to taste, mustard if you like.

      Down home (New Orleans and surrounding parishes), that's called a spring chicken sandwich. No idea why.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ms Crow. I've posted a new closeup picture of the plant. Thanks also for your culinary advice. I believe I'll try that and I believe I have the music for it -- I just was downloading the latest episodes of my favorite music podcast, Louisiana Rhythms. It's some people at a community radio station in Minneapolis-St Paul who play two hours of Cajun, Zydeco, Swamp Stomp and etc every week. They seem to have a Louisiana music scene up there where some of the Louisiana stars go up there and play, augmented by some local bands.

      http://kfai.org/louisianarhythms

      Delete
  2. Did you spread your mayonnaise with your hand saw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the purchase of the house. Hope all goes well. The tree looks like it needs help.... Watch out for someone offering advice to "top" it, don't do it.

    Also, google "Japanese square watermelons", it seems they like theirs square.

    Here is a Youtube version of an old song that was popular in the late 40's and early 50's in New Mexico.. It is a song 100's of years old and these women do an excellent job with it

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQTyW0fhj98&feature=share

    Again, congratulations with the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, by "help" what do you mean?

      Delete
  4. Thank you, NM.

    Thanks also for the link and the advice about the tree. I love that tree and was wondering what I should about it.

    Speaking of music, I've sometimes heard live music at night when I'm in the back yard that to my untrained ear sounds a lot like that kind of music. It's a little ways off and I can't tell where it's coming from, maybe someone's back yard or maybe a little club, maybe it drifts up one of the irrigation canals that crisscross the area. It's nice. I've been enjoying it here so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of the plant is Chimiso or Chamisa. A Google search for "Rabbit Brush" will Get you the following:

    "Ericameria nauseosa, commonly known as Chamisa, rubber rabbitbrush, and gray rabbitbrush, is a North American shrub in the sunflower family. It that grows in the arid regions of western Canada, western United States and northern Mexico."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha. Thanks NM. I found this with some of its traditional uses.

      http://www.westernwonder.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=8015

      Delete